Durham Investigation Moving Ahead 'Full Steam', Report To Haunt Dems For 'Years To Come'

Written By BlabberBuzz | Thursday, 19 November 2020 14:50

U.S. Attorney John Durham’s investigation into the issues of the Russia probe endures “full steam ahead,” a source close to his progress explained, despite concerns from Republicans and allies of President Trump that the probe has been asleep following Election Day.

“Durham remains full steam ahead,” the source familiar with the investigation explained.

According to another source the investigation “is definitely still happening,” notwithstanding the sharp silence coming from the U.S. attorney from Connecticut.

Durham’s investigation has provided one criminal charge so far, against former FBI lawyer Kevin Clinesmith, who was blamed for altering an email related to the surveillance of a former Trump campaign aide. That prosecution, though, did not claim a broader conspiracy within the FBI, and the conduct it covered had largely been laid out in a Justice Department inspector general report from last December.

After the Clinesmith charge, Durham’s team went quiet. Two sources familiar with the investigation claimed that Durham was not finished with many lines of investigation, which he considered “critical.”

Another source said Durham had been “feeling more pressure to get this done and wrapped up” over the summer, but added that Durham “does not want this to be viewed as political,” and would likely “punt it to after the election,” which he ultimately did.

Durham was selected by Attorney General Bill Barr last year to investigate the origins of the FBI’s Russia probe, soon after Special Counsel Robert Mueller finished his yearlong investigation into whether the Trump campaign cooperated with the Russians to influence the 2016 presidential election.

Mueller’s investigation got no evidence of illegal conspiracy or coordination between the Trump campaign and Russian officials during the 2016 election.

Last month, Director of National Intelligence John Ratcliffe announced he believed there “will be” and “should be” more charges coming from Durham’s probe, based on “intelligence” he has access to.

“I think there will be more indictments,” Ratcliffe explained. “Based on the intelligence I have access to, I certainly believe there should be.”

Ratcliffe further announced that he has already given 1,000 pages of material to the Justice Department to maintain Durham’s investigation.

“At my direction, the Office of the Director of National Intelligence has now provided almost 1,000 pages of materials to the Department of Justice in response to Mr. Durham’s document requests,” Ratcliffe announced Wednesday. “I will continue to ensure the Intelligence Community’s responsiveness to the DOJ’s requests.”

Ratcliffe continued saying that officials at ODNI “look forward to supporting the DOJ in further declassifications consistent with their investigation.”

“As the president has made clear, we must be appropriately transparent with the American people and give them the confidence that the extraordinary work of Intelligence professionals is never misused or politicized,” he said.

Start your own discussion or comment on someone else's

Start your own discussion or comment on someone else's

Start your own discussion or comment on someone else's

Start your own discussion or comment on someone else's

Start your own discussion or comment on someone else's

Start your own discussion or comment on someone else's