Sanz, who previously served as Cuellar's press secretary and district director, announced his challenge to the incumbent earlier this month.
Court records, as detailed by the Daily Mail, reveal that Sanz was arrested in April 2021 following an incident where he allegedly threw a chair at his then 21-year-old sister. His mother was also reportedly involved in the incident.
Sanz was subsequently charged with assault of a family member and released on a $1,000 bail. A protective order was granted on April 14, barring Sanz from approaching within 200 feet of the residence.
Days after the incident, Sanz's sister filed an affidavit requesting not to prosecute her brother. She claimed that the chair he threw did not hit her and that there was a misunderstanding with the police. She also stated that she did not require a protection order.
"After talking to my mom and sister did I realize that, in essence, the chair never did hit me, things happened so fast through all the excitement. Perhaps the police officer did not understand what I said through all the excitement," she was quoted as saying by the outlet.
In December 2021, the case against Sanz, initially reported by the Texas Tribune, was dismissed after he completed 36 sessions of batterer intervention and 12 hours of community service. A hearing was scheduled for Friday to determine whether the arrest should be expunged from his record, according to Harris County District Court records. However, it remains unclear whether the arrest was expunged, and Sanz's campaign did not immediately respond to Fox News Digital's request for comment.
Sanz, born in Mexico City and raised in the Houston suburbs, announced his candidacy for Cuellar's seat in the Texas 28th Congressional District. In his announcement, he pledged to bring "a strong conservative voice" to Congress.
"The experience was unparalleled," Sanz said of his tenure with Cuellar. "However, over time it became clear that my values and beliefs did not align with those of the office. I had to make a change so I could fight for what matters to me most... my conservative ideals and the ability to represent the family values of the people of District 28 in Washington, D.C."
Cuellar's campaign, however, seemed unfazed by Sanz's announcement. "For the second cycle in a row, we welcome another Republican candidate to the race that has no experience and is not from the 28th Congressional District of Texas," said Cuellar spokesperson Jake Hochberg in a statement to the Texas Tribune. "We will win again, decisively."
Sanz, who moved to the U.S. with his family at the age of nine to escape violence, currently resides in the border town of Laredo. Apart from his stint in Cuellar's office, he is also known as a "former ESPN-Mexico television sports analyst," as per his news release.