Taliban Threatens More Attacks Against Americans After Trump Cancels Meeting

Written By BlabberBuzz | Source: TheFederalistpapers | Sunday, 08 September 2019 09:38

The Taliban said on Sunday that U.S. President Donald Trump’s decision to cancel peace talks with its leadership would lead to the further loss of American lives and assets.

”The Americans will suffer more than anyone else for canceling the talks,” Zabihullah Mujahid, a spokesman for the hardline insurgent group, said in a statement.He said the talks were being conducted in a smooth manner until Saturday, and both sides had agreed to hold intra-Afghan talks on Sept. 23.The threat from the Taliban comes a day after President Donald trump announced that the peace talks were cancelled.President Donald Trump has cancelled a top secret meeting with the Taliban that was supposed to take place this weekend.

The president announced on Twitter on Sunday that the meeting was cancelled after the Taliban admitted to murdering a dozen people in an attack.

BIPARTISAN LEGISLATION CRACKING DOWN ON BIG TECH

BIPARTISAN LEGISLATION CRACKING DOWN ON BIG TECH

The attack killed an American soldier and that ruined the peace talks between the United States and the Taliban.

WATCH: BIDEN SPITS OUT UNITY SPEECH TO A DIVIDED NATION

WATCH: BIDEN SPITS OUT UNITY SPEECH TO A DIVIDED NATION

“Unbeknownst to almost everyone, the major Taliban leaders and, separately, the President of Afghanistan, were going to secretly meet with me at Camp David on Sunday.

STEVE BANNON FACES CRIMINAL CHARGES OVER DISOBEYING JAN 6TH COMMITTEE

STEVE BANNON FACES CRIMINAL CHARGES OVER DISOBEYING JAN 6TH COMMITTEE

“They were coming to the United States tonight. Unfortunately, in order to build false leverage, they admitted to an attack in Kabul that killed one of our great great soldiers, and 11 other people.

WATCH: CHINESE REFUGEE SAYS BIDEN'S DOJ REMINDS HER OF HOME

WATCH: CHINESE REFUGEE SAYS BIDEN'S DOJ REMINDS HER OF HOME

“I immediately cancelled the meeting and called off peace negotiations. What kind of people would kill so many in order to seemingly strengthen their bargaining position?

“They didn’t, they only made it worse! If they cannot agree to a ceasefire during these very important peace talks, and would even kill 12 innocent people, then they probably don’t have the power to negotiate a meaningful agreement anyway. How many more decades are they willing to fight?” he said.

TRUMP TAKES ON SOCIAL MEDIA APP FOR IMPERSONATING HIM

TRUMP TAKES ON SOCIAL MEDIA APP FOR IMPERSONATING HIM

The attack happened on Thursday near the U.S. Embassy and it was the second major attack in a week by the terror group, The Associated Press reported.

U.S. envoy Zalmay Khalilzad, under pressure after announcing earlier in the week that “on principle” he and the Taliban had reached an agreement, returned abruptly to Qatar, site of the talks, later Thursday, officials close to the negotiations said. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to reporters.

The NATO Resolute Support mission, whose offices were near the blast, said the two service members were “killed in action,” without providing details or releasing their names. The American service member was the fourth killed in the past two weeks in Afghanistan.

“Peace with a group that is still killing innocent people is meaningless,” President Ashraf Ghani, whose government has been shut out of the U.S.-Taliban talks, said in a statement.

Another 42 people were wounded, Interior Ministry spokesman Nasrat Rahimi said. Surveillance footage showed the bomber’s vehicle turning into a checkpoint and exploding — and a passer-by trying to sprint away just seconds before the blast.

The Taliban said they targeted vehicles of “foreigners” trying to enter the heavily guarded Shashdarak area where Afghan national security authorities have offices. British soldiers at the scene retrieved what appeared to be the remains of a NATO vehicle.

Once again, stunned civilians made up most of the victims. The Taliban has said its attacks are meant to strengthen its position in talks with the U.S. and that civilians should stay away from potential targets linked to the Afghan government or foreign “invaders.”

Reuters contributed to this story.

Facebook has greatly reduced the distribution of our stories in our readers' newsfeeds and is instead promoting mainstream media sources. When you share to your friends, however, you greatly help distribute our content. Please take a moment and consider sharing this article with your friends and family. Thank you.

Trump Cancels Top Secret Meeting With Taliban After Terror Attack

This article was sourced from TheFederalistpapers

President Donald Trump has cancelled a top secret meeting with the Taliban that was supposed to take place this weekend.

The attack happened on Thursday near the U.S. Embassy and it was the second major attack in a week by the terror group, The Associated Press reported.

U.S. envoy Zalmay Khalilzad, under pressure after announcing earlier in the week that “on principle” he and the Taliban had reached an agreement, returned abruptly to Qatar, site of the talks, later Thursday, officials close to the negotiations said. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to reporters.

The NATO Resolute Support mission, whose offices were near the blast, said the two service members were “killed in action,” without providing details or releasing their names. The American service member was the fourth killed in the past two weeks in Afghanistan.

“Peace with a group that is still killing innocent people is meaningless,” President Ashraf Ghani, whose government has been shut out of the U.S.-Taliban talks, said in a statement.

Another 42 people were wounded, Interior Ministry spokesman Nasrat Rahimi said. Surveillance footage showed the bomber’s vehicle turning into a checkpoint and exploding — and a passer-by trying to sprint away just seconds before the blast.

The Taliban said they targeted vehicles of “foreigners” trying to enter the heavily guarded Shashdarak area where Afghan national security authorities have offices. British soldiers at the scene retrieved what appeared to be the remains of a NATO vehicle.

Once again, stunned civilians made up most of the victims. The Taliban has said its attacks are meant to strengthen its position in talks with the U.S. and that civilians should stay away from potential targets linked to the Afghan government or foreign “invaders.”

Facebook has greatly reduced the distribution of our stories in our readers' newsfeeds and is instead promoting mainstream media sources. When you share to your friends, however, you greatly help distribute our content. Please take a moment and consider sharing this article with your friends and family. Thank you.

Trump scraps secret meetings with Afghan, Taliban leaders after deadly bombing

This article was sourced from Foxnews

President Trump announced Saturday that he had canceled planned secret meetings at Camp David with Taliban and Afghan leaders after the Taliban claimed responsibility for a car bombing that killed a U.S.

soldier, a Romanian soldier, and 10 civilians in Kabul earlier this week.

"Unbeknownst to almost everyone, the major Taliban leaders and, separately, the President of Afghanistan, were going to secretly meet with me at Camp David on Sunday," Trump tweeted. "They were coming to the United States tonight. Unfortunately, in order to build false leverage, they admitted to an attack in Kabul that killed one of our great great soldiers, and 11 other people. I immediately cancelled [sic] the meeting and called off peace negotiations. What kind of people would kill so many in order to seemingly strengthen their bargaining position?"

Trump added that if the Taliban cannot agree to a ceasefire, "then they probably don’t have the power to negotiate a meaningful agreement anyway."

"How many more decades are they willing to fight?" Trump asked.

The Trump announcement came a day after the U.S. envoy negotiating with the Taliban, Zalmay Khalilzad, completed two days of meetings in Qatar with Taliban lead negotiator Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar and the commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan, Gen. Scott Miller. On Monday, Khalilzad said an agreement had been reached "in principle" to begin a U.S. troop withdrawal  and only needed Trump's approval

Khalilzad has said the first 5,000 U.S. troops would withdraw from five bases in Afghanistan within 135 days of a final deal. Between 14,000 and 13,000 troops are currently in the country. But the Taliban, at their strongest since their defeat in 2001 after a U.S.-led invasion, want all of the approximately 20,000 U.S. and NATO troops out of Afghanistan as soon as possible.

Afghan President Ashraf Ghani has been shut out of the U.S.-Taliban negotiations, and during Khalilzad's visit to Kabul this week Ghani was shown the agreement but not allowed to keep it. The Taliban have rejected negotiations with the Afghan government, seeing it as a puppet of the U.S., though it has expressed willingness to meet with Afghan officials in their personal capacity. American soldier among those killed in Kabul car bombing as US works to finalize Afghanistan peace deal

Ghani's government has echoed concerns by former U.S. officials that a full U.S. troop withdrawal that moves too quickly and without requiring the Taliban to meet certain conditions, such as reducing violence, could lead to "total civil war" such as the one that engulfed the country in the 1990s after a rapid Soviet pullout and before the Taliban swept into power.

"Peace with a group that is still killing innocent people is meaningless,” said Ghani, while presidential adviser Waheed Omer added: "Afghans have been bitten by this snake before."

The Taliban say that their surge in deadly attacks — including on the capitals of northern Kunduz and Baghlan provinces last weekend — is necessary to give them a stronger negotiating position in talks with the U.S., a stance that has appalled Afghans and others as scores of civilians are killed. Taliban attack kills 16 in Afghanistan amid potential peace agreement with US

Thursday's explosion followed an attack late Monday that killed 16 people and over 100, mostly all civilians. Hours after the second explosion, the Taliban set off a car bomb outside an Afghan military base, killing four civilians.

The U.S. had hoped a deal with the Taliban would bring the militant group to the table for intra-Afghan talks to begin ahead of Afghanistan's presidential election on Sept. 28 — a vote that Ghani insisted must be held on time and not be swept aside by any kind of interim government. The U.S. is also seeking Taliban guarantees that they will not allow Afghanistan to become a haven from which extremist groups such as Al Qaeda and the local affiliate of the Islamic State group (ISIS) can launch global attacks.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

This article was sourced from TheFederalistpapers

Start your own discussion or comment on someone else's

Start your own discussion or comment on someone else's

Start your own discussion or comment on someone else's

Start your own discussion or comment on someone else's

Start your own discussion or comment on someone else's

Start your own discussion or comment on someone else's

Start your own discussion or comment on someone else's

Start your own discussion or comment on someone else's

Start your own discussion or comment on someone else's

Start your own discussion or comment on someone else's

Start your own discussion or comment on someone else's

Start your own discussion or comment on someone else's

Start your own discussion or comment on someone else's

Start your own discussion or comment on someone else's

Start your own discussion or comment on someone else's

Start your own discussion or comment on someone else's