The body camera footage of police arriving at Smollett’s home following the staged “attack” is unintentionally hilarious.
Chicago Police enter Jussie Smollett’s home after report of racist and homophobic attack on Jan. 29. He’s still wearing a long white rope around his neck. @cbschicagopic.twitter.com/OeGIjsT6gb
— Megan Hickey (@MeganHickeyTV) June 24, 2019
Smollett is hanging out in his kitchen with the noose swinging from his neck like a necklace, prompting police to ask him if he wants to remove it.
The police had been called by Smollett’s manager. He asked the officers if their body cameras were recording and asked that they be turned off.
“The dozens of hours of video have been released by police after an open records request from the I-Team and ABC News, among others. The video includes many surveillance camera recordings of the areas where Smollett claimed he was attacked by two men sporting Make America Great Again hats,” ABC 7 reports.
Smollett was charged with one count of disorderly conduct for filing a false police report and indicted on 16 counts of disorderly conduct for filing a false police report by a Grand Jury. All charges were ultimately dropped by the prosecutor’s office in exchange for community service and forfeiture of his $10,000 bond — prompting many, including police, to call shenanigans.
The dropped charges are now subject to a separate investigation by the inspector general.
BREAKING, Justice Is Coming For Jussie Smollett, Special Prosecutor To Examine Case
This article was sourced from TheFederalistpapers
The legal issue for hate crime hoaxer, and actor, Jussie Smollett are done done by a long shot as he could still be prosecuted.
A special prosecutor could be appointed to handle the case after controversy surrounded the dismissal of charges against him, Reuters reported.
A Chicago judge on Friday ordered a special prosecutor to examine the handling of actor Jussie Smollett’s discredited claim that he was the victim of a hate crime, setting up the possibility he could be criminally charged a second time, a police spokesman said.
Smollett, who is black and gay and at the time had a role on the television show “Empire,” ignited a firestorm on social media after he told police on Jan. 29 that he was attacked on a street outside his Chicago home.
He said two apparent supporters of President Donald Trump struck him, put a noose around his neck and poured bleach over him while yelling racist and homophobic slurs.
Police later charged Smollett with filing a false police report and accused him of paying $3,500 to two men to stage the attack to generate public sympathy. Prosecutors dropped the charges in March, saying an agreement by Smollett to forfeit his $10,000 bond was a just outcome.
Trump, Rahm Emanuel, Chicago’s mayor at the time; and the city’s police superintendent criticized the decision by State’s Attorney Kim Foxx’s office to drop charges.
Former Illinois appellate court judge Sheila O’Brien has since submitted a petition to Cook County Judge Michael Toomin requesting a special prosecutor to examine Foxx’s handling of the Smollett case, according to local media.
The special prosecutor will look into the “whole investigation” and as a result “Mr. Smollett could face charges,” Guglielmi said by phone.
“We stand firmly behind the work of detectives in investigating the fabricated incident reported by Jussie Smollett & #ChicagoPolice will fully cooperate with the court appointed special prosecutor,” Guglielmi wrote on Twitter.
Mark Geragos, an attorney for Smollett, could not immediately be reached for comment.
Foxx recused herself from the case before charges were filed against Smollett because of conversations she had about the incident with one of Smollett’s relatives, according to her spokesman.
A spokeswoman for Foxx’s office could not immediately be reached for comment.
The initial reports of two Trump supporters attacking a gay, black celebrity drew widespread sympathy for Smollett, particularly from Democrats. That faded quickly after the actor’s arrest.
Smollett turned 37 years old on Friday.
Advertisement - story continues below
“Empire” creator Lee Daniels confirmed earlier this month that Smollett would not be returning to the show.
Reuters contributed to this report.
Facebook has greatly reduced the distribution of our stories in our readers' newsfeeds and is instead promoting mainstream media sources. When you share to your friends, however, you greatly help distribute our content. Please take a moment and consider sharing this article with your friends and family. Thank you.
This article was sourced from The Gateway Pundit