The former Minneapolis police officer announced in the court filing that he plans to appeal on 14 grounds.
One allegation made by Chauvin in the notice to appeal is that Judge Peter Cahill abused his discretion by refusing him a call to move the trial out of Hennepin County because of pretrial publicity.
Chauvin, 45, further insisted that Cahill abused his discretion when he denied requests to delay the trial or grant a new one — and when he rejected a call to sequester the jury for the duration of the trial.
Separately on Thursday, Chauvin filed a motion to pause the appeals process until the state’s high court examines a previous ruling to deny him a public defender.
Chauvin's filing Thursday further takes issue with the fact the court did not allow him to strike jurors he says were "clearly biased" in voir dire, the process in which prospective jurors are questioned and screened before being chosen. Furthermore, the filing says the court abused its discretion by allowing only limited evidence from a 2019 encounter between Floyd and the police.
Floyd's death and the video catalyzed nationwide demonstrations over racial injustice and police brutality. That public attention -- along with the city's announcement throughout jury selection that it was paying $27 million in a settlement to Floyd's family -- were among the reasons Chauvin's trial attorney Eric Nelson had previously asked for a change in venue.
Chauvin announced he’s been without a lawyer in the appeals process, and has no income apart from prison wages.
Throughout his trial, Chauvin’s lawyer was funded by the Minnesota Police and Peace Officers Association’s legal defense fund.
In April, Chauvin was convicted of second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder, and second-degree manslaughter of Floyd after kneeling on his back for almost 10 minutes in 2020.
He was sentenced to 22 1/2 years in prison.
Chauvin is further charged in federal court with violating Floyd’s civil rights. He has pleaded not guilty to those charges.
Chauvin and the three different former Minneapolis officers present in Floyd's death face separate federal charges for supposedly violating Floyd's constitutional rights. Chauvin was further charged in a separate indictment related to the use of unreasonable force on a 14-year-old in September 2017. He pleaded not guilty in that case earlier this month.